Stuff I Care About

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Book Recommendation of the Day


For anyone out there who is interested in expanding their reading collection, here is a nod out to Tom Harpur. For my birthday, a close friend of mine gave me this book. While I would not say that I am learning anything new, I am really enjoying returning to the basics of my liberal university education. I love being brought back to the basic mythology that created the Bible. Here is a basic description of the book;

This is Harpur's most radical and groundbreaking work to date, in which he digs deep into the origins of Christianity and how the early Christian church covered up all attempts to reveal the Bible as myth.

What began as a universal belief system has become a ritualistic institution headed by ultraconservative literalists. As he reconsiders a lifetime of worship and study, Harpur reveals a cosmic faith built on these truths that the modern church has renounced. His message is clear: our blind faith in literalism is killing Christianity. Only with a return to an inclusive religion where Christ lives within each of us will we gain a true understanding of who we are and who we are intended to become.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive