Stuff I Care About

Friday, January 15, 2010

Reason #8- God Makes You Incredibly Selfish and Self Centred.


Christianity, in particular, projects the belief that God is involved with all lives of every individual on Earth.

Therefore, it is no great leap then that many Christians believe and imagine that God has a "master plan" only for them, and that God directly talks to, directs, or even does favors for them. Hmmmmm.... This egocentricity lends to making followers very selfish with an inflated sense of righteousness. How many people have tried to convert you? How many times have you went to a wedding and it has been assumed that you will pray? And, how many times have you heard people say that God will right wrongs for them? How many times have you had religion imposed on you through no fault of your own? How many people have assumed that you are a religious person?
The whole thing is absurd, and best summarized by Richard Dawkins:

"A God capable of continuously monitoring and controlling the individual status of every particle in the universe cannot be simple. His existence is going to need a mammoth explanation in its own right... Worse, from the point of view of simplicity, other corners of God's giant consciousness are simultaneously preoccupied with the doings and emotions and prayers of every single human being.... (which makes him have to) decide continuously not to intervene miraculously to save us when we get cancer."

I call this unhealthy and sick, that is why I am an atheist. I am really boring and uninteresting and feel quite comfortable being a face in the crowd. Besides, I am not interested in having a belief in something that knows everything that there ever is, ever was, and ever will be about me. That really creeps me out, like stalker following you after dark kind of creepy. Not for me. What is the point anyways? If I am not on his radar, he will not help me with cancer.

Here's to living well while I am here, thinking about other people, and random acts of kindness just for the hell of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers