Stuff I Care About

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Quote of the Day


Today, I decided to post a quote in respect of Howard Zinn, who recently passed away. For what it is worth, I consider his book "A People's History of the United States" one of the most salient pieces of literature in the last century. In my most idealistic fantasy, that book would be a mandatory textbook in public schools. And, Fast Food Nation would be too, but that is a whole other blog.

Anyways, years ago, when I was reading his book and finally understanding what he was saying about the importance of conceptualizing history from many viewpoints, I loved this quote. Looking back, I see that it was one of the defining moments in accepting that I was an atheist. Here it is;

"And in such a world of conflict, a world of victims and executioners, it is the job of thinking people, as Albert Camus suggested, not to be on the side of the executioners."

A girl can dream can't she? Anyways, thank you Mr. Zinn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers